[sane-devel] Iscan and Ubuntu 17.10/18.04 fixed

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sun Nov 26 12:02:57 UTC 2017

Hi Klaus,

staedtler-przyborski writes:

> Am 19.11.2017 um 09:14 schrieb Olaf Meeuwissen:
>
>> I read through the bug report you mentioned below and think the whole
>> thing sucks.  Ubuntu has made a *huge* judgement error pulling an
>> *experimental* package for their upcoming release just to get a newer
>> version of the SANE backends upstream.  A lot of scanners supported by
>> third party scanner break for no good reason.
> Reverting this decision would definitely be the best solution.
>
> But who knows (I'm not affiliated to ubuntu in any way, I'm only using
> it). In that case it's good to have workarounds to overcome the limitations.

I'm not affiliated with Ubuntu either (but I do have a Launchpad
account) and I no longer use any of the 'buntus.  I don't let those kind
of "details" get in my way when a "dumb decision" wrecks my workflow or
causes me lots of extra work.  If the maintainers of your preferred
distribution(s) break things, it's up to them to fix them (possibly with
the help of knowledgeable users) and not the upstream project.

> Thanks to another user we got now Brother brscan4 based scanners working
> too (by using an unconventional approach) with relevant scanning apps
> (Xsane, scanimage, simple-scan, scantopdf)and as user.

Oh yeah, hwdb files, yet another systemd thingy.  Our sane-desc utility
know how to create these files since the summer of 2013.  I'm not sure
if any distribution uses them but that would probably not have helped
those brscan4 users anyway.

> Summary of all workarounds:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/1728012/comments/76

Thanks for the feedback,