[sane-devel] SANE needs a GUI like CUPS's 'system-config-printer' to manually add a network scanner.

Alex ARNAUD alexarnaud at hypra.fr
Mon Nov 27 19:50:34 UTC 2017

Le 26/11/2017 à 14:28, Hans Deragon a écrit :
> Greetings,
>
> I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 MFC. I have two Linux computers at home,
> a desktop and a laptop. Both are able to print to it, no problem. I
> configured the desktop with hp-setup from hplip, using the USB cable.
> That configures the device to use the wifi.  Once configured, I
> disconnected the USB cable and that desktop computer is able to use the
> scanner, no problem.  I have another laptop, which I just want to
> connect to the same scanner.  I do not want to set the scanner up again,
> since it is already configured.  I just want to tell Sane that there is
> a scanner at address 192.168.1.157.  Sane fails to detect it, and I have
> no clue how to add it using a GUI nor a terminal for that matter.
>
> The should be a GUI feature that allows me to add a scanner the same way
> one can add a printer.

OK, after checking what I do every time when configuring network
multifunction HP devices I've only used system-config-printer without
doing any manual configuration from command-line or from sane.

Which distribution are you using ? Are you using Ubuntu 17.10 ?

Best regards.
--
Alex ARNAUD
Visual-Impairment Project Manager