[sane-devel] Broken ADF-support in pixma-backend: devs needed

Ralph Little littlesincanada at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 13 18:28:23 UTC 2017

Hi,I have also had problems with my Canon MF4770N and Rolf has been kind enough to assist in the past although it has become increasingly apparent that he is really busy with other things.
It still doesn't work and it is something that I would like to rectify.
I do have the skills to get to the bottom of it, but I also don't have much time to devote to it but it is on my TODO list sort out.For my scanner, some of the setting combinations don't work very well or sometimes put the machine in a hardware failure state resulting in my having to power cycle it, most likely the result of a timing issue or an illegal combination of options. So there is clearly much work to be done. :(
Having gained experience with that I might be able to help with other models. I have a feeling that once one is fixed, a number of other models will be pretty much the same. Companies like Canon tend to output lots of models that are pretty much the same inside and it wouldn't surprise me to discover that solving the problem with one would solve the problem with many.
When ADF scanning fails on my multi function then I suspect that sane and the scanner are out-of-sync, a situation which is difficult to recover from without some kind of reset of the scanner itself. Sane thinks that the scanner has reported an error and aborts whereas the scanner is waiting for instructions to continue the scan from sane.

I will try to put some time aside to deal with this over the next few days but I cannot give any guarantees however.
Cheers,Ralph Little