[sane-devel] simulate a scan with test device?

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 20:30:05 UTC 2017

Most of the systems I am using don't have actual scanners attached. I'd
like to simulate a flatbed scanner by copying an image chunk by chunk with
a delay and even simulate selecting an area and resolution by using a high
def image to copy from and get a lower res depending on the settings I
give. Is this already built into sane-test backend somehow?

When I tried with

scanimage -d 'test:0' --batch="sane-test%d.tiff" --batch-count 1 --format
tiff

I output image was all black and there was no delay

I'm thinking I could simulate this using imagemagick's convert program
and a simple program to copy a bit at a time.