[sane-devel] SANE Support for Canon TS9520 printer

Paul Bixel bixelps at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 18 18:40:28 GMT 2018

Hi Folks,

New to your group.  Recently bought a Canon TS9520 Multi-Function
printer and was looking to get it working with my Linux system.
Reviewing your website it seems this is an untested model and that
testers are needed.  So here I am.

The printer:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/ts-series-inkjet/pixma-ts9520

My system:

RELEASE=18.2
CODENAME=sonya
EDITION="Cinnamon 64-bit"
DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya"
DESKTOP=Gnome
TOOLKIT=GTK
NEW_FEATURES_URL=http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon_whatsnew.php
RELEASE_NOTES_URL=http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon.php
USER_GUIDE_URL=help:linuxmint
GRUB_TITLE=Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit

Things I have observed:

I tried with both SANE v1.0.14 which came with the distro and I also
downloaded, built and installed v1.0.27 from the site without any change
in behavior.

I have tried both the USB and Wifi interfaces of this printer without
success.

Results of sane-find-scanner shown below with USB (and Wifi connected).

============================

sane-find-scanner

   # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
   # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
   # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
   # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x185c [TS9500
series]) at libusb:001:008
found USB scanner (vendor=0x0fe6, product=0x9700 [USB 2.0 10/100M
Ethernet Adaptor]) at libusb:001:006
   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

   # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

   # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
   # can't be detected by this program.

=============================

scanimage -L does not detect anything.

With Wireshark I can see that there is no response to the subnet
broadcast to port 8612 discover packet when running scanimage.

I have installed Canon's tool called ScanGearMP2 and it functions over
Wifi with this printer.  Attached is the discovery sequence that I
captured that shows how the Canon tools discoveres the printer.

If there is anything else I can investigate for you let me know. I would
love to see this printer move to the "Known to work column" of your site.

Best Regards,

Paul Bixel