[sane-devel] How to fix "Device busy"?

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Tue Dec 18 20:54:43 GMT 2018

Trying to run a scan to an HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 (though I'm thinking
that's irrelevant), I get a failure.  The last message I get is this:

Page 1: Scanning...
error: SANE: Device busy (code=3)
Closing device.
Return status of hp-scan command was 0 Exiting....

Looking for more info, I try this:

$ scanimage -T -vvv
scanimage: sane_start: Device busy
Closing device
Calling sane_exit
scanimage: finished

The scanner/printer isn't seeing any kind of scanner event, so I'm
thinking that sane_start isn't even getting off the PC, not sending
anything to the scanner/printer.

I've tried rebooting both the printer/scanner and the PC, but the error
condition remains exactly the same.

In /var/log/messages there is this:

python: hp-scan[19042]: warning: Invalid value for br-x (br-x > max
value of 215). Using 215.
python: hp-scan[19042]: error: SANE: Device busy (code=3)

So I'm thinking that some value related to some device needs to be
cleared or reset somehow.  Anyone know what to do either to fix the
problem or to get more diagnostic info?

Thanks for the wisdom.