[sane-devel] I need a saned tester!

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Thu Feb 1 10:50:26 UTC 2018

On 02/01/2018 02:44 AM, Andy Bennett wrote:
> Hi,

>>> Could 'scanimage -d ...' work for you?
>
> I think you can specify the network device name directly to -d. Getting
> -L to work (to list the scanners) is more tricky.
>
> I can't find the documentation for how to construct the network name of
> the scanner but
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/SaneOverNetwork
>
> and 'man sane-net' might help.
>
>  From the example at that wiki page it looks like something along the
> lines of 'scanimage -d net:<saned-ip-or-hostname>:<backend>:<device>' is
> what's required so maybe prepending "net:<saned-ip-or-hostname>" to the
> device name given when running 'scanimage -L' on the saned machine will
> work>
>
> The manpage also documents how to add hosts to the net.conf file or to
> the SANE_NET_HOSTS environement variable to encourage 'scanimage -L' to
> find the scanner.
>

> Regards,
> @ndy

$ nmap -p 6566 192.168.255.10

Starting Nmap 7.60 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2018-02-01 02:49 PST
Nmap scan report for rn1.rent-a-nerd.local (192.168.255.10)
Host is up (0.00018s latency).

PORT     STATE SERVICE
6566/tcp open  sane-port

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.04 seconds

Great link!

This looks like it may work:

     xsane net:192.168.0.6

xsane net:192.168.255.10
Failed to open device `net:192.168.255.10`: invalid argument

Poop!