[sane-devel] /etc/sane.d/saned.conf vs /etc/saned.conf?

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Mon Jan 29 20:33:04 UTC 2018

On 01/27/2018 03:18 AM, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ToddAndMargo writes:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> When configuring saned, what is the difference between the access
>> list in
>>
>> /etc/sane.d/saned.conf
>>
>> and
>>
>> /etc/saned.conf
>
> By default, saned looks for saned.conf in the directory that was
> specified at build time.  For most Linux distributions this will be
> /etc/sane.d, the result of passing a --configdir=/etc option to the
> configure script (which tags the /sane.d part on by itself).
>
> Using the *normal* build and install procedures that are part of
> sane-backends, there is *no* way you would get an /etc/saned.conf.
> Any chance you put this there yourself?
>
> If you really want to use /etc/saned.conf, you need to use
>
>    SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/etc saned ...
>
> As far as file contents is concerned, both are processed in the same
> way.  It only a matter of which one is used and, as said, the default
> is to use the first.
>
> Hope this helps,

Hi Olaf,

What is this comment inside /etc/sane.d/saned.conf?

# NOTE: /etc/inetd.conf (or /etc/xinetd.conf) and
# /etc/services must also be properly configured to start
# the saned daemon as documented in saned(8), services(4)
# and inetd.conf(4) (or xinetd.conf(5)).

Why would I need both to get the saned daemon to work?

-T