[sane-devel] /etc/sane.d/saned.conf vs /etc/saned.conf?

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Wed Jan 31 11:28:50 UTC 2018

Hi,

ToddAndMargo writes:

> Hi Olaf,
>
> What is this comment inside /etc/sane.d/saned.conf?
>
> # NOTE: /etc/inetd.conf (or /etc/xinetd.conf) and
> # /etc/services must also be properly configured to start
> # the saned daemon as documented in saned(8), services(4)
> # and inetd.conf(4) (or xinetd.conf(5)).
>
> Why would I need both to get the saned daemon to work?

If you run saned from systemd, ignore the comment.

If you run saned from inetd or xinetd (please read the inetd(8) or
xinetd(8) manual pages or have a look a their Wikipedia entries for what
these daemons do), the usual setup refers to a sane-port "service" in
their configuration file, the number of which service is normally
defined in /etc/services.

BTW, all of this is also documented in the saned(8) manual page, pointed
to in the comment itself and the documentation for the files mentioned,
which the comment points you to as well, and only a quick search engine
request away.

Hope this helps,