[sane-devel] Driverless IPP Scanning with SANE

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Wed Jan 31 11:51:29 UTC 2018

Hi Till,

Here we meet again!  I'm no longer professionally involved in scanner
backend/frontend development (doing web service development nowadays)
but my janitorial volunteering for the SANE project has landed me in a
project admin position so I feel somewhat obliged to reply ;-)

Till Kamppeter writes:

> The PWG has recently also developed an IPP scanning standard, which
> provides a standard protocol for communicating with scanners in IPP
> multi-function devices (via network or IPP-over-USB):
>
> http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/cs-ippscan10-20140918-5100.17.pdf

Yet Another Standard ;-)
Looks like that'll take some time to digest and comprehend.  As well as
all the standards and RFCs it references.

> The best way to access this class of scanners from Linux would be to
> create a SANE backend for IPP Scan.
>
> Therefore I have opened a project for the Google Summer of Code 2018:
>
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/google-summer-code-2018-openprinting-projects#sane-module-for-ipp-driverless-scanning

Okay ...

> The student's task is to write this SANE module for IPP driverless
> scanning and so make Linux ready for the future of driverless devices.
>
> Mentors: Till Kamppeter, Project Leader OpenPrinting (till at linux dot
> com), SANE upstream developers TBD
>
> Desired knowledge: C programming, DNS-SD, IPP
>
> Code license: GPL 2+
>
> ----------
>
> I want to ask whether someone of you would (together with me) mentor a
> student to do this project.
>
> The SANE project does not need to be mentoring organization at the GSoC
> for that. Mentoring organization will be the Linux Foundation.

As far as I know all the SANE project members are *volunteering* their
time and expertise, so ...

What time period would that mentor need to be "available"?  How much
time do you think this mentoring will take?  What is expected from a
mentor anyway?  What will happen with that SANE module for IPP
driverless scanning once the GSoC project's over?  Is the mentor (or
SANE project) supposed to take on continued maintenance or will the
Linux Foundation pick that up?  What's in it for the mentor, btw?

Hope this helps,