[sane-devel] Scanner not detected - Canon i-Sensys MF249dw

vfast9 vfast9 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 08:50:49 UTC 2018

Hello,

I am a new to this forum and don't know if I am at the right group or
category. I found your email on the sane-project website.

Forgive me if some received this email in error.

I just installed a *Canon i-Sensys MF249dw* multifunctional laster
printer and scanner because according to the manufacturer's technical
information, both printing and scanning should be supported under Linux.

For your info I am running an UBUNTU machine with 16.04 LTS.

Although I could get the printer part working rather easily, after
installing the Canon Linux driver, the scanner is not detected at all by
Linux. Canon doesn't provide any Linux driver for the scanner, but
indicated that it is "supported" by Linux?

After one day of working on it and testing different configurations, the
sane-find-scanner gives the following message:

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
   # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
   # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
   # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

*found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Language Error], product=0x27d2
[Language Error]) at libusb:001:002*
   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

The scanner just won't work and doesn't get detected properly.

If I run the Linux scanner programmers like "simple scan" or "Xsane"
they report that there are "*no scanners found*".

This is very frustrating because when I connect my old canon printers
like the Pixma MG4250 or even the Canoscan Lide 50, the scanners work
out of the box and are automatically detected by Linux.

So now I have this giant paperweight MF249dw sitting on my desk and
cannot get the scanner working.

Does anyone of you have experience getting this scanner to work under Linux?

All help and suggestions are welcome.

kind regards,

George