[sane-devel] RasPi support for Epson Perfection V500 Photo

Jonathan Kunkee jonathan.kunk.ee at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 20:25:56 BST 2018

(got mailing list membership fixed up)

> > I appreciate your reply, but I think there is a misunderstanding. One link
> > I mentioned is for the source (not binary blob) of that plug-in and the
> > other is an article stating that a partial recompile works on the Raspberry
> > Pi on an older Debian derivative. (There is a binary blob lib needed for
> > the signal processing in the manufacturer-provided scanner UI that I don't
> > plan to use.) My request is not for sane-devel to do any work for me on a
> > niche application, but rather for debugging suggestions so I can do the
> > work myself.
>
> The iscan "source" code contains a blob that is only used by the
> frontend, yes.  It goes by the name of libesmod.so.2.
>
> The binary-only plugin that I mentioned is used and required by the
> epkowa backend.  It's the blob that goes by the name of
>
>   libesint7C.so.2
>
> and requires a esfw7C.bin firmware file to make the device do anything
> at all.

So Epson's remnant ships a 'driver' source blob that is missing the
required .bin file and the binary that consumes it? Gnarly. That
effectively ends my hopes without doing my own USB reverse engineering
with Message Analyzer and starting from scratch reading the libEpkowa
source.

I believe my original confusion was due to seeing 'binary blob
required' and then finding source for what seemed to be the binary
blob (what I just learned from you is not the plugin, but iscan itself
which apparently has a plugi). Thank you for your help working through
my confusion.

Do you know of any documentation of iscan and its plugin architecture?

Thanks,
Jon