[sane-devel] daily git snapshots

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sun Mar 4 01:52:36 UTC 2018

Hi Rolf,

Rolf Bensch writes:

> Hi Olaf,
>
> There are no daily git snapshots available on the wesite anymore. I can
> only find a folder, which goes into itself.

Sorry about that.  Should be fixed now.

# Not quite sure why that happened but I suspect I made a mistake with
# the ln command.  It doesn't seem to be caused by the update-htdocs.sh
# script.  IIUC, that script runs daily.

Anyway, given the (in)frequency with which our repositories are pushed
to I wonder if it makes sense to drop the daily git snapshots in favour
of the source tarballs created by our CI setup on every push.

# Sometimes weeks go by without a commit ;-)

The git snapshots are *not* the same as the source tarballs.  The former
are the result of

  git archive --format=tar --prefix=sane-backends-$(date +%Y%m%d) master

whereas the latter are the result of

  make dist

So the latter are equivalent to what we eventually release.

How easy/hard would it be to change things on your end to use the CI
source tarballs?  Should I submit an issue for that on GitLab?

Hope this helps,