[sane-devel] [janitorial] Alioth Tracker Item → GitLab Issue

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Tue Mar 20 14:18:55 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I just pushed updates to the website that point people to submit issues
against our GitLab projects instead of creating Tracker Items on Alioth.

The GitLab issues have been configured with a wealth of labels:

 - backend/* for every SANE Project supported backend
 - frontend/* for every SANE Project "supported" frontend (that's quoted
   because, sadly?, sane-frontends it all but dead) but please note that
   the scanimage and saned frontends are part of sane-backends (huh?!?)
 - connection/* for network, usb, scsi and parallel connections

In addition there are labels for bugs, feature requests, documentation
and translation issues, build issues, security issues (tick the checkbox
to keep these confidential!), sanei, portability and tools issues,
issues that have a patches and issues needing feedback.  These last two
are colour coordinated with the Doing and To Do labels that are used on
the board(s).  Actually, I have tried to colour coordinate most of the
labels that I think are sort of in the same category.  Of course, any
issue can have more than one label.

# I still would like to add descriptions to the current labels but I
# think that can wait for now.  There's more important stuff to take
# care off!  Read on.

Today Alioth Tracker Item #315943 was submitted.  We now have 1583 bugs
and 53 feature requests registered at Alioth.  About a quarter of the
bugs and half of the feature requests is still open.  When Alioth gets
discontinued (sometime May 2018 for all I know) *all* that information
will become inaccessible.

I have been looking[1] at transferring these Tracker Items to GitLab
issues but things on the Alioth side do not look easy (see the issue
for details).  Currently, I am looking at scraping Alioth for all of
the information on our Tracker Items and use that to create issues on
GitLab.  I haven't made up my mind yet about whether to use a special
"tracker-items" project for that or try to create the issues on the
right project, i.e. one of backends, frontends or website.  Whichever
way I decide, issues can be moved between projects on GitLab anyway so
it's not such a big deal.

 [1]: https://gitlab.com/sane-project/ops/issues/10

# Tomorrow I have the day off, Vernal Equinox Day is a national holiday
# in Japan!, so I hope to make some headway in scraping Alioth.

Hope this helps,