[sane-devel] No response to merge requests for the genesys backend

Gerhard Jäger gerhard at gjaeger.de
Thu Oct 11 06:44:19 BST 2018

Hi Povilas,

On 10.10.18 at 23:31 Povilas Kanapickas wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> A couple of months ago I submitted several merge requests with small
> changes to the genesys backend:
>
> https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/merge_requests/10
> https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/merge_requests/9
> https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/merge_requests/7
>
> There has been no response so far. Is there anything I could do to make
> the PRs go through?

Well - no. Put the blame on me. I've simply ignored the requests that
Olaf has assigned to me. I'm going to check and merge ASAP. Sorry.

> If there's lack of manpower, is there any way I could be more involved
> in the project? I think sane serves an important mission by letting
> people use very old scanner hardware indefinitely, even after the
> proprietary drivers are no longer available for the operating systems
> used at the time. Over time this will significantly reduce the amount of
> perfectly good hardware thrown away at least in this sector.
>
> I have substantial experience developing low level systems software, so
> I'm confident I could potentially be useful to the project.

I have the feeling that every new developer who likes to contribute
is welcome. Regarding pending and necessary work, Olaf has the overview.

If you'd like to take over maintenance of a certain backend - no
problem - I'd say.

Best regards,
  Gerhard