[sane-devel] Epson DS-530 Backend

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Tue Sep 25 14:02:57 BST 2018

Hi Anthony, Camil,

ioan.camil.bancioiu at gmail.com writes:

> Hello Anthony,
>
> Epson provides the source code of the driver, you could download that from their usual download page.
>
> Alternatively, get it from Slackware: http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/iscan/

Please note that iscan's epkowa backend does *not* support the DS-530.

I know it's easy to get confused about, but EPSON's

  Image Scan! for Linux (iscan)

and

  Image Scan v3 (imagescan, aka utsushi)

are two completely different beasts.  About as different as the epson2
and epsonds backends.  That said, you can get the source code for
imagescan from EPSON's download page.

# I have been intimately involved in both EPSON "drivers" and set up a
# project to track the imagescan[1] sources as well as a fork that has
# (increasingly less but still) some extras called utsushi[2].
#
#  [1]: https://gitlab.com/utsushi/imagescan
#  [2]: https://gitlab.com/utsushi/utsushi

> Compiling the Slackware version was more straightforward, as they have fixed some compilation errors.
>
> To enable 16-bit scanning in Linux, modify the file backends/dip-obj.c by replacing a certain function with the one here: https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/sane-devel/2018-September/036330.html

This only applies to the epkowa backend.

> On Saturday, 22 September 2018, Anthony Sokolowski wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to attempt to modify the epsonds backend to work with the
>> new DS-530 model. The DS-510 is listed as working so hopefully the
>> models are not too different.
>>
>> The official Epson linux driver application is imagescan and this works
>> fine for the scanner. Is there any way to use this program to develop
>> the Sane driver?

The code bases for the utsushi backend that is part of imagescan and the
SANE project's epsonds backend are *completely* different.  If you still
really want to add support for the DS-530 to the epsonds, I suggest you
add

  usb 0x4b8 0x....

to /etc/sane.d/epsonds.conf and give it a try.  The 0x.... is the
device's USB product ID.  Run `lsusb` (with your scanner plugged in and
powered on) to find it.  Chances are that most of the functionality will
work out of the box.

# BTW, I'd like to know that USB product ID.

Hope this helps,