[sane-devel] "Scanimage" or "Sane" timeouts

Dr Rainer Woitok rainer.woitok at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 09:44:36 BST 2019

Olaf,

On Saturday, 2019-04-06 15:27:47 +0900, you wrote:

> >    bjnp-timeout=100
> >    bjnp://192.168.2.199/timeout=5000
> >    bjnp-timeout=100
>
> According to the manual page, the first line has effect.  The second is
> only applied for the scanner at that IP address.  Everything else uses
> the last bjnp-timeout value.

That was exactly my intention.   The 5000 milliseconds timeout was sugg-
ested by Louis because the scanner is connected via WiFi.  But even with
these specifications  former versions of "scanimage" stubbornly produced
six timeouts of 1000 milliseconds each,  so I suspect  even former vers-
ions misinterpreted the default value  as a minimum as you point out be-
low.

> I had a quick look at the code in backend/pixma_bjnp.c.
>    min_timeout = /* assign value from configuration file */
>    if (min_timeout < BJNP_TIMEOUT_DEFAULT)
>       min_timeout = BJNP_TIMEOUT_DEFAULT;

So the code clearly contradicts the documentation.  I would vote in fav-
our of the documentation  and would prefer  the default value to be only
assigned, if the configuration files don't provide any timeout values.

Thanks, Olaf, for pointing this out.

Sincerely,
  Rainer