[sane-devel] sane-config and pkgconfig

Ralph Little littlesincanada at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 28 17:43:48 BST 2019

 Hi,

    On Wednesday, August 28, 2019, 4:43:48 a.m. PDT, Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> I'd suggest modifying m4/sane.m4 to use pkg-config or simply inline the
> PKG_CONFIG macro call directly in configure.ac, replacing AM_PATH_SANE.

> Q: How good is your autofoo?  Are you familiar with autoconf and
>   friends?  If not, I'll be around to help out, even make the changes
>   needed, if needed, after looking at the fine print ;-)

Not great TBH but I'm learning.
Looking into autoconf, it feels like I need a book of spells rather than documentation to properly configure it. :P
> Should we be able to rely on the existence of pkgconfig in the xsane
> build to locate and link with libsane?

> I'd say yes as sane-backends provides the necessary *.pc file.
> The sane-frontends also need to be cluebatted on current practice.  It
> hasn't seen a release since 2005-09-18 :scream:

Perhaps after we have a functioning xsane build we could have a splurge on killing sane-config for good.I find its existence confusing, especially in distros that have a sane-config manpage but no actual sane-config.
I'm happy to have a look at the sane frontend build with my new found autoconf foo.
CheersRalph