[sane-devel] Announcing AirSane, an Apple AirScan compatible server frontend

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 14:10:05 GMT 2019

On 26/12/2019 10:37, Till Kamppeter wrote:

> Here I also have found out that one can use eSCL also on USB multi-function
> devices through the IPP-over-USB daemon ippusbxd
> (https://github.com/OpenPrinting/ippusbxd). eSCL is not actually IPP but
> ippusbxd is more an HTTP-over-USB or perhaps even IP-over-USB daemon than
> strictly IPP. ippusbxd does not advertise the scan function via DNS-SD, here I
> would need a reliable way to find out through USB whether the device has a
> scanner or not. Tests and contributions in this direction are very welcome.

Scanning through ippusbxd also overcomes the following issue of ippusbxd:

https://github.com/OpenPrinting/ippusbxd/issues/9
    Allow also classic USB connections while
    ippusbxd is running

For example I have HP multi-function devices and they print perfectly driverless
via IPP-over-USB using ippusbxd, but I cannot actually use ippusbxd as then I
cannot scan, as the HPLIP SANE backend cannot access the device via conventional
USB due to the fact that ippusbxd completely occupies the USB. An eSCL backend
which also accesses throu ippusbxd would come in handy here.

    Till