[sane-devel] sane-airprint

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 20:13:58 GMT 2019

On 26/12/2019 15:56, Alexander Pevzner wrote:
> Hi, Till,
>
> On 12/26/19 8:57 PM, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>
>> Great, so we have 3 eSCL backends now: sane-escl, AirSane, and sane-airscan.
>> Thanks to all of you to support this big group of scanners, probably all in
>> printer/scanner-multi-function devices which do AirPrint.
>
> AirSane is not backend, it is a frontend. It works as AirScan server, and uses
> SANE backends for access to scanners.

Sorry, realized this later, too.

So with that software (plus Linux, SANE, CUPS, cups-filters) we get

Old printer + old scanner + Raspberry Pi = Multi-Function device which prints,
scans, and copies with everything which is not Windows. Without
device/model-specific drivers. :)

>> Alexander, could you also try to scan on a USB-connected device via ippusbxd
>> (https://github.com/OpenPrinting/ippusbxd)? Note that you need to supply the
>> URI manually (should be "http://localhost:60000/eSCL/...") as ippusbxd does
>> not support yet DNS-SD registration for multi-function devices
>> (https://github.com/OpenPrinting/ippusbxd/issues/11).
>
> I'm very busy today and tomorrow. Hope I'll be able to try a day after tomorrow.

OK, no problem. I have already inaugurated the never-ending series of bug
reports which one has on typical free software projects:

https://github.com/alexpevzner/sane-airscan/issues/1

First time that I report bug #1 on a project.

    Till