[sane-devel] Canon imageCLASS MF416dw & Ubuntu 18.04

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Sun Feb 3 17:15:25 GMT 2019

On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 06:25:00PM +0100, Rolf Bensch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You need to install SANE's development version, e.g. from my PPA:
> https://launchpad.net/~rolfbensch/+archive/ubuntu/sane-git .
>
> The MF410 Series is supported since PIXMA backend version 0.17.51 (SANE
> version 1.0.27), but still has status 'untested'.

FWIW, I do have SANE 1.0.27:

joliver at blinky:~$ dpkg -l | grep sane
ii  libsane-common
1.0.27-1~experimental3ubuntu2                all          API library
for scanners -- documentation and support files
ii  libsane-hpaio:amd64                        3.17.10+repack0-5
amd64        HP SANE backend for multi-function peripherals
ii  libsane1:amd64
1.0.27-1~experimental3ubuntu2                amd64        API library
for scanners
ii  sane-utils
1.0.27-1~experimental3ubuntu2                amd64        API library
for scanners -- utilities
ii  xsane                                      0.999-5ubuntu2
amd64        featureful graphical frontend for SANE (Scanner Access Now
Easy)
ii  xsane-common                               0.999-5ubuntu2
all          xsane architecture independent files

I installed your PPA and did apt-get update.  My scanner still isn't
seen or detected.  But it looks like I still have an older pixma
backend...

SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA=10 scanimage -L
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of pixma to 10.
[pixma] pixma is compiled with pthread support.
[pixma] pixma version 0.17.37
[pixma] pixma_find_scanners() found 0 devices

What do I need to do to get that updated?  It does appear to be hitting
your repo:

joliver at blinky:~$ sudo apt-get update
Ign:1 http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable InRelease
Hit:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Hit:3 http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable Release
Hit:4 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Hit:5 http://ppa.launchpad.net/rolfbensch/sane-git/ubuntu bionic
InRelease
Hit:6 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates InRelease
Hit:8 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security InRelease
Reading package lists... Done

And LMK what testing I can do to improve the status of this device!