[sane-devel] network scanner weirdness

Terry Spearman tnspearman at twc.com
Wed Feb 20 22:40:35 GMT 2019

I'm running Centos 7 on the server, with sane-backend version 1.0.24
downloaded from the Centos repository, and Windows 10 on my desktop.  I have
a Canon CanoScan N1240U scanner set up as a network scanner using the
plustek driver and WiaSane in Windows to connect to the Windows Fax and Scan
frontend.

Usually, but not always, when I do a scan in Windows, the scanner lamp does
not turn off on scan completion.  This never occurs if I do a scan using
scanimage  in a server terminal window.  Furthermore, when the lamp fails to
turn off, a second scan from Windows Fax and Scan will usually, although not
always, fail.  When the lamp does fail to turn off, I can turn it off by run
scanimage -L in a server terminal window.  I can then scan successfully with
Windows Fax and Scan again.

To add to the confusion, when the lamp fails to turn off and I run scanimage
-L in a terminal window, it will only list the network version of the
scanner. i.e.

device `net:192.168.1.113:plustek:libusb:001:002' is a Canon CanoScan
N1240U/LiDE30 flatbed scanner

However, if I then run scanimage -L a second time, it will list both the
network and non-network version of the scanner i.e.

device `plustek:libusb:001:002' is a Canon CanoScan N1240U/LiDE30 flatbed
scanner

device `net:192.168.1.113:plustek:libusb:001:002' is a Canon CanoScan
N1240U/LiDE30 flatbed scanner

Like I said, weirdness.

I have also observed that after I restart the server, when I run anything
having to do with SANE (e.g. scanimage -L, a scan from a terminal window
using scanimage, or a network scan from Windows) the scanner takes several
minutes to respond.  Subsequent attempts are very much quicker.  This may or
may not be related to the network scanner weirdness.