[sane-devel] getting any sort of Umax PowerLook 2100XL to work anymore?

Ondrej Zary linux at zary.sk
Sun Feb 17 18:38:05 GMT 2019

On Wednesday 30 January 2019 06:24:08 David Melik wrote:
> Earlier I'd been asking if the new USB Umax PowerLook 2100XL is
> supported.  It wasn't clear, and may or may not involve someone or any
> new user trying to write drivers.  Now I found out even the old (SCSI-2)
> one doesn't work with kernels since March 19, 2018... at least not for
> my Adaptec PCI SCSI-2 card (AHA-2920 or something.) The Linux kernel
> just started removing drivers for plain/classic PCI hardware (and other
> still-used old hardware, for years) despite brand new
> system-/logic-/main-/mother-boards still being made with plain/classic
> PCI slots.  Is there any way I can recompile the old drivers (fdomain)
> for new kernels? ... or should I just pay Umax to upgrade a scanner to
> USB, or maybe buy a USB one, with the chance of it not ever working?
> (maybe same situation unless I install an old/obsolete OS version.)

Looks like your AHA-2920 card is based on Future Domain chipset (AHA-2920A). fdomain driver was removed probably because nobody wanted to remove its scsi_module.c dependency:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10291777/

I already fixed some old SCSI drivers to prevent them from being removed but such major driver modifications require testing on real HW.

--
Ondrej Zary