[sane-devel] scanimage -L not responding

Andrea Vai andrea.vai at unipv.it
Tue Jan 8 10:44:43 GMT 2019

Hi,
Il giorno lun, 07/01/2019 alle 16.20 +0100, Gerhard Jäger ha scritto:
> Hi Andrea,
>
> On 07.01.19 at 15:26 Andrea Vai wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    when I try the scanimage -L command there is no output, even if
> > wait many minutes.
> >
> > I am trying with two Canon scanners (one 650U and one Lide20), and
> > both give the same result.
> >
> >    In my network there are a lot of scanners which (I think) can
> slow
> > down the scanimage -L command. As I need to use my USB scanner
> only,
> > and supposing that the hang is due to network search/issues, is
> there
> > a way to exclude the network scanners from the detection? Does
> anybody
> > have please some hint to solve the problem?
>
> Tweak the dll.conf file (/etc/sane.d) and comment out any backends
> except the plustek backend.

Thank you Gerhard and Manuel, that lead me to make the command work
one time and have a test scan correctly done with one device, but
trying again:

$ lsusb |grep Canon
Bus 003 Device 010: ID 04a9:2206 Canon, Inc. CanoScan N650U/N656U

$ scanimage -d plustek:libusb:003:010 --format=jpeg -p -v --mode Gray
--resolution 150 -x 215 -y 297 > test.jpg

does not respond.

The same device works on windows, with the same usb port, same cable
and same hardware (well, actually it is a Virtual Machine inside the
linux box).

Also, trying again scanimage -L it hangs for >15 minutes, then I kill
it and try again in Windows it still work :-/

Can you help me going a step further please?

Thank you very much,
Andrea