[sane-devel] getting any sort of Umax PowerLook 2100XL to work anymore?

David Melik davidnchmelik at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 05:50:48 GMT 2019

Earlier I'd been asking if the new USB Umax PowerLook 2100XL is
supported.  It wasn't clear, and may or may not involve someone or any
new user trying to write drivers.  Now I found out even the old (SCSI-2)
one doesn't work with kernels since March 19, 2018... at least not for
my Adaptec PCI SCSI-2 card (AHA-2920 or something.) The Linux kernel
just started removing drivers for plain/classic PCI hardware (and other
still-used old hardware, for years) despite brand new
system-/logic-/main-/mother-boards still being made with plain/classic
PCI slots.  Is there any way I can recompile the old drivers (fdomain)
for new kernels? ... or should I just pay Umax to upgrade a scanner to
USB, or maybe buy a USB one, with the chance of it not ever working?
(maybe same situation unless I install an old/obsolete OS version.)