[sane-devel] Web GUI front end testing/collaboration

Mark DM markosjal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 05:15:54 BST 2019

Hello,
I have tested numerous web GUI front ends on Raspberry Pi and had zero luck
so far with any of them

As I had something I created for another scanner project . I have since
added code to support SANE by way of command line scanimage.

So I have now expanded the web GUI to  a SANE Web GUI front end. This is
PHP and Javascript. I am far from a pro and was hoping someone might be
willing to help test and collaborate to get some of the finer points tied
down. The project runs on apache2/PHP and can use local linux accounts and
even save scans to those local (host) paths by way of pwauth. This means
that any linux account used on the server can be used for authentication to
scan, and mandates the save path. Alternately, I have basic text file
authentication as well.

Of course it would be best if someone had php experience, knowledge of SANE
and wanted to collaborate.

Currently the inteface for SANE is "scanimage" command line only , running
on localhost. I mean the web GUI runs on the same machine that hosts the
scanner. Most of the parameters are currently fixed in files but certainly
that they can be parsed from command line scanimage.

Actually the web GUI is also somewhat ready for eSCL/AirScan Scanners but I
honestly need to get back to that part.

I originally created it for a group of orphaned scanners based on this
command line utility
http://bastel.duckdns.org/~public/s400w/

It has now evolved to support
SANE scanners by way of scanimage and manual config
eSCL/AirScan compatible scanners by somewhat parsng the ScannerCapabilities
xml
as well as the original s400w scanners with its limited capabilities set

imagemagick is used for conversions.

One benefit is that it is not only a web GUI but some modules are very
close to being complete to support eSCL/Airscan middleware when used with
SANE or s400w scanners. This means SANE compatibility  for iPhone/iPad,
OSX, or Mopria Scan for Android.

Thanks

Mark