[sane-devel] Epson Perfection V800 - What does "Good" mean with this scanner?

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Mon Jul 29 11:18:14 BST 2019

29 липня 2019, 12:46:50, від "Maik Wagner" <linuxandlanguages at t-online.de>:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am looking to buy a new scanner to scan my negatives and slides and
> decision has mainly been on these two devices:
>
> - Epson V800 Photo
> - Canon 9000F (Mark II)
>
> The latter one is marked as "Complete" but can apparently only scan four
> framed slides at once.
>
> So I have been looking at the "V800" which can do twelve slides at one
> time which would be an enormous increase in productivity.
>
> Is is marked on
>
> http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-mfgs-cvs.html#Z-EPSON
>
> as "Good" but which "exotic features" are missing?
>
> Could anyone elaborate on this please?
>
> Regards,
>

> Maik Wagner
> www.linuxandlanguages.com

Hi,

I'm the owner of a similar model (V330 Photo). It works perfectly (slide module, high-resolution scans, etc.) but only with the proprietary Epson drivers.

You can download and install Epson drivers:

https://epson.com/Support/Scanners/Perfection-Series/Epson-Perfection-V800-Photo/s/SPT_B11B223201?review-filter=Linux#drivers

Regretfully, the installation script fails to register the driver at least in the modern (after 2017) RPM-based distros (mine is Mageia 7/2019).

To fix this you should determine the <vendor-id> and <product-id>:

sane-find-scanner

It outputs something like:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0142 [EPSON Perfection V33/V330]) at libusb:002:006

Then the scanner should be registered (from root):

iscan-registry --add interpreter usb 0x04b8 0x0142 /usr/lib/esci/libesci-interpreter-perfection-v330

After that, everything works like a charm.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Yuri