[sane-devel] Testing sane

Povilas Kanapickas povilas at radix.lt
Fri Jun 14 19:16:46 BST 2019

Hi,

On 6/14/19 10:45 AM, Jeroen Van den Keybus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to test a more recent version of sane, and I have
> encountered 2 issues:
>
> 1. For a backend, whereas I can simply overwrite the
> libsane-genesys.so... in /usr/lib64, at least the gscan2pdf program gets
> an access denied (did not get that with the original
> libsane-genesys.so.1.0.27). However, xsane, skanlite, scanimage work
> fine. Is it supported to simply replace this library, or am I doing
> something fundamentally wrong ? The original libsane.so.1.0.27 from
> OpenSUSE is still in use. (libsane library is built on the same machine,
> so the -devel lib versions match the other libs actually installed)

You could try changing LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to include
the directory with your overriding libraries and invoking xsane with it.
An alternative would be to just use scanimage that comes with
sane-backends, that's the way I do testing.

> 2. If I would like to 'sudo make install' for testing. I need to
> uninstall the original sane-backends for this, but the OpenSUSE pkg mgmt
> tool wants to uninstall 21 dependent packages (including wine). Is this
> the only option I have ? Obviously I will provide the lib directly
> afterwards, and maybe reinstall sane-backends, but I want to avoid un-
> and reinstalling these 21 packages if possible.

You could create a sane-backends package that carries a newer version
number and effectively "upgrade" the system version. I think there even
was a program to do that for you, but I don't remember it exactly.

Regards,
Povilas