[sane-devel] Proposal to remove autoconf-generated files from the source repository

r. a. schmied uwppp at flash.net
Wed Jun 19 17:31:52 BST 2019

olaf interested saners

continuing:

> The autotools are a bit of a steep learning curve :unamused:

amen!

first: the submitted configure.ac patch fixes the solaris
usb lib build arguments and the variable settings in
./include/sane/config.h correctly.

it does add ax_path_generic.m4 and ax_compare_version.m4.

ax_path_generic.m4 is where the envvar LIBUSB_* are introduced
iirc, but the envvar name might not be fixed and could
be tweaked to match the sane-backends names USB_*.

[ do not right now recall why ax_compare_version.m4
  was needed; maybe needed by ax_path_generic.m4 ? ]

if these two additions are an objection i can see if there
is a way to do it with the autoconf stuff in accordance with
autoconf-2.69: 5.2.2 Generic Program and File Checks.

in fact, at first glance, AC_PATH_PROG does look to be
the solution.  naturally AC_PATH_PROG is not in calcotes'
autotools book index!  shoulda waited for the 2nd edition
due in sep 2019, but it will be out-of-date by then anyway.

let me dig deeper on this and get back to you with a
different configure.ac patch.

[it will take a while, but it is 'on-the-list']

aloha

ras

the following is 'out-of-band' commentary

second: yep!  my "odd-ball os" does indeed provide
a nearly 15 year old usb lib, then again the
entire "odd-ball os" is nearly that old too:
solaris 10 update 8 is dated oct 2009.
twok:(inet)-root 1313 $  libusb-config --version
0.1.7

yep! it is "old".  should i see if i could upgrade,
maybe; but recall that this is an "odd-ball os"
(e.g. bigendian, sparc, with a custom svr4-ish
kernel crafted by a company no longer in existence).
certainly not a platform (actively) supported by
the usblib build system.  further consider that
the usb stuff might be so inter-woven into the fabric
of the sun solaris kernel that the effort has
a high likelihood of failure.

now consider: is there any actual reason to upgrade?
the 0.1.7 libusb has all the functions needed for
sane-backends-1.0.27 (sane-backends-1.0.x with c++
'improvements' might be a different story), but
right now there isn't much that says an upgrade
is necessary, required or even worth while.

second part 2: why not upgrade to a newer or newest
solaris 10/11 for sparc.  well, i've looked over
the licensing associated licensing agreement(s)
and it looks to me that too do so would either
require buying annual renewal or some-such or
risk it and run illegally.  the first is out-of-budget,
the second is, well, illegal.  oracle seems
not to want to provide an allowance for non-commercial,
personal use like sun micro did.  [sol10u8 is the
last solaris release under the sun micro banner]

third: linux -- i'd like to upgrade, but i don't
have a lot of available $$$ to replace my old
legacy hardware.  then what hardware and which
of the dozens of linux do i select and why those
particular selections over the other dozens of
choices.  then consider the effort needed to tweak
all of my 20+ years of [ohmygod] csh scripts,
sun /bin/sh scripts, rebuild all custom c-src
utils/apps of my own design (hack might be more
appropriate) all the while having to migrating
from bigendian ufs to some other unknown to me
linux file-system.  then what about all the
incompatibility messages i see on most fossy
applications ...

it is enough to make me 'hang in there with my
old old old "odd-ball os" but static os' that
i have some arguably reasonable grasp upon.

dunno if i'm right, but the choice seems clear to me
'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

third part 2: how about linux for sun4u sparc
hardware?  i've not found a release or even
a hint that such might be possible without
substantial additional effort.