[sane-devel] Xsane --> Canon Pixma scanner problems

Bill 624wtl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 05:17:11 GMT 2019

Dear Sir/Madam:

     My system is Ubuntu 18.04.2 with a new Canon Pixma TS6220, which
replaces an HP Photosmart 6520.
     All of the following comments refer to my new Canon printer. Xsane
with my recently retired HP works perfectly (except, I think the Canon
images are the better).

1) I am able to move the dashed lines to frame the print to be scanned,
but the output always contains the images of what ever is on the platen
on a "full size" white background.
2) I have selected “inches” as the unit of measurement, but the preview
window has “px” in the upper left corner, and the dimensions in the
windows at the bottom of the main menu are in pixels. These dimensions
do not change as I adjust the frame of the photo to be scanned and
always read 2480*3507*24 (24.9MB).
3) There are no length markings along the side or top of the preview window.
4) In Advanced Options, the UOM displays “px”. The sliders change as I
adjust the frame, but for a 4” x 6” photo in the upper left corner, the
lower right corner is shown to be .00235x, .00154y.
5) For all resolutions > 75 ppi, the scanned image of the photos is very
dark/saturated – beyond my ability to correct.
6) Max scan resolution in the main menu is only 300, whereas it is 1200
with the HP scanner.

     This printer is WiFi equipped, but I am using it with a usb cable
as my pc and printer are on the 2nd floor of our house while the router
and my wife’s pc are on the 1st floor. I am willing to help out in the
testing of your Pixma backend if I can be of any assistance.

Kind regards,

Bill

System info:

$ uname -a
Linux XXX 4.15.0-45-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 29 16:28:13 UTC 2019
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Release:    18.04
Codename:    bionic

$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 04a9:1856 Canon, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:0153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Mass
Storage Device
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse

$ sudo sane-find-scanner
   # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
   # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
   # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
   # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x1856 [TS6200
series]) at libusb:001:008
could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

   # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

   # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
   # can't be detected by this program.

$ scanimage -L
device `canon_pixma:libusb:001:008' is a CANON TS6200 series flatbed scanner