[sane-devel] Backend regression testing

Povilas Kanapickas povilas at radix.lt
Sat Nov 9 13:57:59 GMT 2019

Hi Ralph,

On 11/5/19 2:47 AM, Ralph Little wrote:
> Hi,
> Has anyone looked into scripted backend regression testing?
>
> I was day dreaming over the weekend, and it occurred to me that it might
> be possible to script the testing of backend conversations over USB and
> Ethernet based perhaps on Wireshark traces.
>
> Often we don't have hardware to do regression testing, but if there was
> some way that we could to automated scripting by playing a selection of
> scripted conversations by hijacking the comms end, then we could
> accumulate a library of repeatable conversations.

We already capability for this on USB side, check out
https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/merge_requests/93. This will
work for any backend.

I have a library of regression tests for genesys scanners. It's useful
for a backend maintainer to prevent accidental changes from creeping in.
However, even benign changes need updates of tests and for that you need
hardware to be available nearby. Additionally, the size of the test data
is huge, which means that it probably would not be possible to use
gitlab to store the data. My test repository is already larger than 50
gigabytes and it's less than 20 scanners.

Cheers,
Povilas