[sane-devel] Proposal to disallow direct pushes to the master branch

Povilas Kanapickas povilas at radix.lt
Thu Oct 24 18:19:40 BST 2019

Hi Rolf,

On 10/12/19 6:22 PM, Rolf Bensch wrote:
> Hi Povilas,
>
> I think using branches depends on the complexity of the changes|fixes.
>
> Document file updates and simple fixes which don't change "my" backend's
> functional structure can be committed directly into master.
>
> If new code touches my backend's functional structure, other backends or
> sane common functions, it should be recommended to use branches.
>
> If I'm working for myself and if only my backend is affected, I can use
> local branches and I only need to push master after local merge. I don't
> see any benefit for using a merge request in gitlab for this. Then the
> commit messages should explain my changes. And if my branch stays local,
> I can use git's versatile functions like rebase.
>
> If other people need to be involved, e.g. for testing, a merge request
> in gitlab is appropriated for communication. This is more transparent
> than discussing things via the mailing list or even off-list.
>
> If another backend is affected or sane common code, a merge request in
> gitlab should be mandatory. And this merge request should be approved by
> other(s). This can help to avoid breaking "foreign" code.

I think it's not completely true that changing code in a certain backend
affects only that backend. The problem is that by default all backends
are built and any compile errors will affect every user of sane
backends. Using merge requests for introducing code to master completely
avoids this possibility.

Regards,
Povilas