[sane-devel] Proposal to disallow direct pushes to the master branch

Rolf Bensch rolf at bensch-online.de
Sat Oct 26 12:01:50 BST 2019

Hi Povilas,

Am 24.10.19 um 19:19 schrieb Povilas Kanapickas:

> I think it's not completely true that changing code in a certain backend
> affects only that backend. The problem is that by default all backends
> are built and any compile errors will affect every user of sane
> backends. Using merge requests for introducing code to master completely
> avoids this possibility.

Sorry, but I don't know what makes you believe, that using merge
requests completely avoids compile errors. In my long life as git user
I've seen a lot of messed code from git merges, especially from merging
"ancient" branches without rebasing the branches to recent master (and
fixing possible problems inside the affected commits), and/or if a group
of power developers are working on the same files. Breaking code with a
branch can still happen, even if somebody else must approve the changes
and/or must process the commit.

In the near past we've seen some build problems which have not been
detected by Sane's continuous integration system. On the other hand
every push is running through CI and the committer will get an email if
any problem has been detected. Maybe we should change existing jobs
and/or add more jobs to CI if we identify such problems.

We must not forget that master branch is under development and if
somebody pulls recent code from git or downloads recent code from Sane's
webside, the code might be faulty and that we (the developers /
maintainers) are happy for any feedback.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rolf