[sane-devel] Canoscan Unsupported

Povilas Kanapickas povilas at radix.lt
Thu Oct 31 19:09:02 GMT 2019

Hi Ralph,

On 10/31/19 8:29 PM, Ralph Little wrote:
> Hi,
> I see from the SANE supported devices page that Canoscan scanner models
> in the range 3000 - 8400F are unsupported.
> Is that still true?

There's some code for 4400F and 5600F, at least some of their features
worked in the past. Most of the features of 8400F and 8600F are
currently supported as a result of my recent work.

I plan to work on 4400F and 5600F in the near future. I have access to
all of the above scanners.

> I'm looking for an unsupported model to try some driver dev work as a
> side project and I have the opportunity to get my hands on a Canoscan 3000F.

Supporting CanoScan 3000F would be a great idea! There's a lot of code
that currently supports scanners with GL646 chipset. If there's not much
non-standard behaviour, adding support for this scanner may probably
take relatively not that much time, maybe around 100 hours plus whatever
you need to spend learning the codebase.

Regards,
Povilas