Last call for XSane patches

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 19:31:17 BST 2019

Hi,
OK, my XSANE downstream patch branch is bulging with patchy goodness.
I think I have caught pretty much all that is worth looking at.
So I think I will submit a merge request, to trigger Olaf or someone
else to check through before merging.

I have looked through Debian and OpenSUSE for their contributions and
most have been applied.
The following have been held back:

Debian
========
0001-lcms2_configure.
This duplicates the effect of another patch to the configure file. We
will shortly be removing configure from the repo
The other patches fixes things in configure.in.

0100-deb_docviewer
This changes the default browser to sensible-browser. I think this is a
distro specific change.
In future, perhaps we could make this something that could be configured
rather than necessitating a patch.

0120-deb_printing_defaults
This changes the default printer from lpr to lp. Again I think this may
be distro specific.
However, I think pretty much everyone is using CUPS these days and CUPS
supports both.
One is supposed to be more feature rich than the other. I am undecided.
If anyone has an opinion on this, I would be interested to hear it.

0110-deb_inhibit_clickthrough
I mentioned this in another mailing. I will sit on this for the moment.

0140-fix_pdf_xref
Looking at the code, this patch seems to be superfluous.
Perhaps upstream fixed this and Debian didn't realise?

openSUSE
=========
001-xdg-open-as-default-browser
Changes default browser from netscape (?) to xdg-open
These seems to be distro specific. Again, we should come up with a
reasonable mechanism for distros to customize the defaults without
having to patch.

902-license-dialog
A different form of Debian 0110-deb_inhibit_clickthrough
It also changes the bug report contact, but I will sit on this also for
the reasons mentioned above.

Cheers,
Ralph