Empower xsane to directly create multi-page TIFF with Fax G4 compression

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 00:07:23 BST 2019

Hi

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019, 15:31 Ulf Zibis, <Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm missing a comfortable way to create multi-page TIFF with Fax G4
> compression directly with xsane.
>
> Currently I have this inconvenient work flow:
> 1. Scan several pages with ADF with 300 dpi grayscale.
> 2. Save one after the other temporarily as single PNG.
> 3. Use IrfanView to edit and compose each page ...
> 3a. Manually increase the contrast and adjust the luminance.
> 3b. Decrease the resolution to 200 dpi (this is the common FAX
> resolution, good for normal text).
> 3c. Save all pages temporarily as single TIFF with Fax G4 compression.
> 3d. Combine the pages to one multi-page TIFF.
>
> Is it thinkable, that xsane could do all these steps in some future
> version, preferably by help of a saved custom configuration?
>
> -Ulf
>
> --
> Von meinem Seibert gesendet

It's not inconceivable to have a scripted session feature added to XSane in
the future.
Unfortunately, we are currently in progress to bring the code base up to
modern spec and get it properly buildable.
It is indeed an interesting idea and I will bear it mind for a future
enhancement.

Personally, I would probably use a shell script with some other tools like
imagemagick to perform the changes in batch.

Cheers,
Ralph