[sane-devel] License pop-up

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 22:48:29 BST 2019

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 2:28 PM Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack at member.fsf.org>
wrote:

> No matter who's to "blame", Oliver, while still the author of (almost)
> all the code, is no longer maintaining XSane.  The SANE Project has
> taken over (with Oliver's "blessing") and now continues the maintenance
> of XSane.  As such, I think we are at liberty to make some changes in
> this area.

Thanks for the clarity in this area.

> I would
>
>  - not make users accept the GPL (because they don't have to in the
>    first place), but instead make the GPL (version 2) available via an
>    "About" dialog, either in full or via a link.

Agreed.

>  - replace any kind of "NO WARRANTY" click-through with a warning about
>    the unlikely possibility of damaging users' hardware.
>    # Untested and newly added devices are somewhat more prone to damage
>    # than devices that have been supported for a long time.
>    The warning should be shown at program start-up until the user opts
>    out of this behaviour.  This should not be a system-wide opt-out.  It
>    should be a *per user* opt-out.

That squares with my idea for a splashscreen, so it sounds like we are in
agreement.
Although for my suggestion, the splashscreen would always show because
XSane is probing for devices.
I'll think about it a bit.
Perhaps I could knock up some prototypes for people to try to see what they
like.

>    The warning could include a link to the full license terms.
>    The opt-out could be reset when a newer backend version is detected
>    (as newer backend might introduce breakage).  In this case, it should
>    be made clear what caused the need to opt out again.

That sounds fair, but personally, I find those splashscreens that re-appear
after previously opting out irritating.

Cheers,
Ralph