[sane-devel] Follow-up on Part 2 of: how to configure/scan with an Epson Xp-4100 printer/scanner

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Tue Dec 8 09:59:52 GMT 2020

On Sat, Nov 07, 2020 17:33:03 PM +0000, Brian Potkin wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 at 18:51, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:
>
> > - but now... the printer part does not work anymore. I have installed
> >   the Epson driver from their website, removed and reinstalled the
> >   printer, but nothing gets printed.
>
> Installing a vendor printer driver is likely the issue. See
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting

Hello list, and my apologies for taking so long to answer. Getting
anything done with the mental and logistic mess created by the
pandemic is not easy.

About the scanner: it works now, thanks to your suggestions, but in a
messed up environment, so to speak. When I try to print or scan, the
system reports two printers, or two scanner, as you can see in the
attachment if the list server allows it. Simple-scan sees Epson
XP-400_Series and Epson XP-4100_Series (USB 1), and two printers are
listed, EPSON_XP_4100_Series-USB-1 and EPSON_XP_4100_Series-USB_1_

In both cases, only the second device works. Scanning with (command
built with your help, see original thread):

scanimage -d 'imagescan:esci:usb:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.2/usb1/1-6/1-6:1.0'

works fine.

What bugs me, is that IIRC the number of devices depends on whether
the printer is on, off or idle when the computer boots, or vice-versa

What next? I mean, I can print and scan but would of course like to

a) clean up this confusion, and be sure I am using both printer and
scanner at the best of its capabilities...

b) possibly... attach the device as is to the USB port of my modem, so
it becomes accessible to my hwhole home network, if this doesn't mean
to run it at lower resolution, or similar.

Marco

--
M. Fioretti http://mfioretti.com                   http://stop.zona-m.net

software is used *around* you