[sane-devel] sane-devel Digest, Vol 186, Issue 26

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 07:58:37 GMT 2020

Hi,

On 2020-12-20 8:45 p.m., pj.world at gmx.com wrote:
> Ralph, thank you so much for your help with this. I do greatly
> appreciate your taking the time to respond with the excellent advice!
> I did not know that the openSUSE repo should be disabled and that the
> SANE stable is in the sane-git repository and that bleeding edge SANE
> is in the sane-release repository.
>
> I did what you suggested above and decided to enable the sane-git
> repository. I updated the desktop with "sudo apt-get update && sudo
> apt-get upgrade in the terminal and viola no packages held back or
> dependency issues anymore either. :)
>
> Can I please ask what you may recomend with enabling of the openSUSE
> PPA for sane airscan?
>
> Thank you again for the excellent assistance!

I wonder actually if the original problem was caused during your upgrade
from Linux Mint 19.3 to Linux Mint 20.
19.3 is based on Ubuntu 18.04 whereas Linux Mint 20 is based on Ubuntu
20.04.
There are separate repos for sane-airscan for the different Ubuntu versions.

I suspect that if you had mistakenly used the 18.04 repo on a
20.04-based distro, it might have had package version conflicts.

I am considering upgrading my machines here from 19.3 to 20 and I
suspect I will have similar pains as well.
On this machine that I am typing this now, I did try to do an in-place
upgrade to Mint 20 a few weeks ago and it failed and I had to wind back
to a snapshot.

I will probably try the in-place upgrade again, but if it fails, I will
reinstall.

Cheers,
Ralph