[sane-devel] sane-airscan

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Wed Jan 1 19:01:21 GMT 2020

Happy New Year to everybody,

I've already posted an announce that alternative eSCL backend is available:

https://github.com/alexpevzner/sane-airscan

But because I've got no official reaction, I decided to gently remind
about myself.

Thank to Till Kamppeter, for his patience, time and very professional
feedback, issues with his HP DeskJet 2540 were solved. It was a very
problematic device, because it's XML parser appeared to be broken, which
nobody would ever suspect. We also found a bug in ippusbxd and Till now
works on it, so scan via IPP-over-USB also works. And later I've
received a report that my backend works with HP ENVY 4500.

Also, from my own experience, it works with Kyocera ECOSYS M2040dn,
which sane-escl doesn't. This is important issue, because unlike Cannon
and HP, Kyocera doesn't provide even a low-quality closed-source network
drivers for linux.

My backend is very mature and it implements many features, missed in
sane-escl, such as ADF support (simplex, duplex, multipage),
sane_cancel() and so on.

Unfortunately, I'm not an organization, but rather a physical person, so
I don't have an access to great variety of hardware to test with. This
is why I ask the community to help me with testing my backend on a
hardware not listed in README.md

I'm especially interested in testing on eSCL-capable photo cameras, if
there are any, because as far as I know, none of existing opensource
eSCL implementation works with them.

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)