[sane-devel] [janitorial] Feature freeze for 1.0.29 and call for translation updates

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de
Mon Jan 13 19:53:43 GMT 2020

Hi,

Am 13.01.20 um 20:26 schrieb Ralph Little:

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020, 11:17 Ulf Zibis, <Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de
> <mailto:Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de>> wrote:
>
>     Am 13.01.20 um 19:58 schrieb Ralph Little:
>

>>     On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 9:58 AM Ulf Zibis <Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de
>>     <mailto:Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de>> wrote:
>>

>>         Here came some surprise. With diff, I could see, that many
>>         lines were
>>         changed, even there was no semantic change. This was caused
>>         by poedit
>>         from automatic line break. It breaks lines after 83 chars,
>>         regardless if
>>         I e.g. set it to 70 (with "keep format of existing files"),
>>         the default
>>         was 79.
>>         So I like to suggest, to first "reformat" the de.po file for
>>         a stable
>>         format, make a merge request and after do the semantic
>>         changes, so
>>         reviewers would have less work.
>>
>>     I tend to agree!
>>     I prefer to formatting changes separated from functional updates.
>     Great!
>     I personally would prefer NO line breaks, as comparing the diffs
>     after
>     would be much easier (otherwise a little change at the beginning of a
>     long text changes all line breaks for several following lines, which
>     makes it error-prone to observe changes at the end of the long text)
>
>     If you disagree and want automatic line breaks, which width do you
>     want?
>
>     -Ulf
>

> I personally don't have a view.
> However I see that the default setting in poedit is 79 and that seems
> reasonable to me.  In the version I have has a setting of "Preserve
> formatting of existing files" so I don't know why it would be making
> other changes. :(
Maybe this setting scans for the longest line in the input file an takes
its width instead the determined 79.

Is there any opposition from someone against disabling the automatic
line break, as today's screens are huge and modern edit and visual diff
tools are anyway capable to visually wrap lines according the window
width. This would dramatically serve visual diff tools to highlight tiny
differences in long logical strings.

-Ulf