[sane-devel] Canoscan 3000F backend dev started

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 04:44:21 GMT 2020

Hi,
I have started to look at the Canoscan 3000F

It is reported to be a GL646 with GL660.
I have captured some scan conversations over USB and I have to say that
I do not recognise the exchange from my experience with the Scanjet
3670. However, it might be that the GL660 is doing the responding and I
know nothing about that.

The broad conversation looks similar to what I have seen before but I
guess that is to be expected.

Some information about the scanner.
==============================

I cracked it open to see what's inside:

Chips:
=========
610800009721 0239-0604 FFS3H-00 - large package, perhaps a microcontroller?
610800012809 - smaller package can't find any reference on line using
these numbers.

STI L6219DS - motor driver
IC41C16256 - 256Kx16 bit Dynamic RAM with EDO Page Mode

Imager: I don't have a lot of experience of identifying these and there
wasn't anything much on the board other than a hex inverter, 74AC04.

Imager board has an optical home sensor.

Calibration seems to be done with both a white and a black strip before
the glass window: white closest to the window, black before.

3 Buttons at the front: Scan, Copy, Email

Driver info:
==========
Latest windows driver is for Vista, but I captured with XP.

Resolutions supported: 75, 100, 150, 200, 300, 400, 600, 800 and 1200.
Sources: Platen, Film (in the lid)
Modes: Grey, Colour, B/W

As can be seen, I don't see anything in there that is obviously Genesys,
certainly nothing that is Genesys branded.
I have photos if anyone is interested.

Any comments or advice?

Cheers,
Ralph