[sane-devel] Using "scanimage" under Gentoo

Dr Rainer Woitok rainer.woitok at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 14:44:23 GMT 2020

Olaf,

it's been a while,  and I was busy solving more pressing problems.   Now
I'm back again to tackle this scanning issue.

On Sunday, 2019-12-15 16:41:01 +0900, you wrote:

> > I know about the existence of environment variable "SANE_DEBUG_BJNP" but
> > have no idea what value to set it to  to provide reasonable information.
> > Could someone please guide me?
>
> Just set it to 127 if you don't know.  The developers should be able to
> slice and dice the result as needed.

First thing I did was digging out my old laptop, on which Windows Vista,
Adobe Acrobat Distiller, and the original Canon driver is installed, and
did a few scans from the ADF  just to make sure this is not a problem of
an aging scanner.

Next I cloned the Git repository  in order  to be able  to freely change
between various versions to find one which is working for me  by compil-
ing "sane-backends" myself.   For a first test  I checked out  changeset
1942c5fd32a7 authored by  Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack at member.fsf.org> at
2020-01-26 10:56:34 +0000.  However while running

   ./autogen.sh && ./configure

I got two warnings which I do not quite understand:

   configure: WARNING: Group uucp does not exist on this system.
   configure: WARNING: Locking feature will be disabled.

The group does in fact exist:

   $ ls -l /etc/group /etc/gshadow
   -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 755 2020-01-14 10:03 /etc/group
   -r--r----- 1 root root 622 2020-01-14 10:03 /etc/gshadow
   $ grep uucp /etc/group /etc/gshadow
   /etc/group:uucp:x:14:uucp
   /etc/gshadow:uucp:::uucp
   $

So what does that mean?   Do "configure" and "make"  want myself to be a
memer of group "uucp" while I'm just compiling the stuff?   For the time
being I'll go on with the compilation, will do

   $ SANE_DEBUG_BJNP=127 scanimage ...

and will report back how it went.

Sincerely,
  Rainer