[sane-devel] [janitorial] Feature freeze for 1.0.29 and call for translation updates

Rolf Bensch rolf at bensch-online.de
Fri Jun 26 21:46:14 BST 2020


I just found new missing German translations, remembered Ulf's great
work and found the branch Olaf created early this year.

To keep the branch close to recent master, I merged it and created a new
merge request for outstanding work:

@Ulf: You're welcome to go ahead checking German translations.

Hope this helps.


Am 15.01.20 um 14:03 schrieb Olaf Meeuwissen:
> Hi Ulf,
> I see you have started going through *all* the messages, correcting even
> the ones that were not marked fuzzy or untranslated.  I'm not sure about
> merging this into release/1.0.29 unless it is completed.  You mentioned
> 15% done in the commit message and that you spend six hours on it in a
> mail to the list.  At that pace, there is probably still some 30 hours
> of work left :-o
> Perhaps it's better to just fix up the few fuzzies and untranslated ones
> and include that in release/1.0.29 and leave your full-blown revision
> for the one after 1.0.29?  I don't know what's best and am just thinking
> out loud.  Suggestions welcome.
> More follows inline.
> Ulf Zibis writes:
>> Hi.
>> Am 13.01.20 um 19:58 schrieb Ralph Little:
>>> Hi Ulf,
>>> All appreciated.
>>> Yes! Partially updated translations are worthwhile having, in my opinion.
>>> At the very least, it would reduce the work of the next person to
>>> tackle it.
>>> Make sure that it is clear that the update is partial.
>> Here it is, see attachment.
> Thanks, I've put it on a "german-translation-revision" branch and made
> it clear that it's partial (via a rewrite of your commit message, hope
> you don't mind).
> # I had no idea though what "line 852" referred to.
>> This update is partial. Please review and note the po-comments in it (in
>> German for German reviewers).
> Not sure if these will survive the gettext tools.  There is a way to
> include translator oriented explanatory comments but these should be
> added in a special format in the source code files.
> # Just checked, looks like they survive at least a `make dist` which
> # updates the po/*.po files.
>> Regarding the formatting of the original:
>> It turned out, that only 2 lines were not line wrapped correctly to 75
>> chars. The cause were illegal chars for spaces ( "C2 A0" instead "20").
>> So I directly file the translation update.
> C2A0 is the UTF-8 encoding of U+00A0, the NO-BREAK SPACE.  I agree that
> it should not be used in the German translation for
>   #: backend/test.c:763
>   #, no-c-format
>   msgid ""
>   "(3/6) Bool test option that has hard select (and advanced) capabilities. "
>   "That means the option can't be set by the frontend but by the user (e.g. "
>   "by pressing a button at the device) and can't be read by the frontend."
> I also see that you removed the space between z. and B. (the
> abbreviation of "zum Beispiel", the German for e.g. :-) which is a good
> thing.  That was the only place where a NO-BREAK SPACE actually might
> have made sense.
> # I had five years of secondary school German :-/
> # I can still read most but anything else ... is a struggle at best.
> Hope this helps,
> P.S.: Enjoy your holiday!
> --
> Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2            FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27
>  GnuPG key: F84A2DD9/B3C0 2F47 EA19 64F4 9F13  F43E B8A4 A88A F84A 2DD9
>  Support Free Software                        https://my.fsf.org/donate
>  Join the Free Software Foundation              https://my.fsf.org/join

More information about the sane-devel mailing list