[sane-devel] ADF support in SANE API

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Mon Jun 29 18:42:30 BST 2020

Hi Rolf,

> What is the difference between sane-airscan and Sane's escl backend? I'm
> a little bit confused about that.
These two backends were written absolutely independent from each other.

We with Thierry HUCHARD, the author of sane-escl, began our work
independently and didn't know about each other (seems, both of us don't
like to publish unfinished work).

sane-escl was released earlier and was quickly adopted by the SANE
project, while sane-airscan remains independent. I've made several
attempts to get it integrated into the SANE project, but didn't succeed
too much (see long story under #202).

After release of the first, eSCL-only version. I refactored sane-airscan
into multiprotocol backend and added support for WSD, which is
well-integrated with the eSCL support (for example, device offering both
protocols will not be, by default, shown twice in the list).

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)