[sane-devel] Changes of xSane clone for review: Preview window redesigned + small changes

Maxim Ushakov head at maxamuxa.com
Sun May 3 16:56:18 BST 2020

Hello everybody!

Some time ago I tried to scan a big archive of old camera rolls with
xSane and found problems:

 1. Its 'scan area selection' was wrong, it got a shift if the Preview
    was zoomed in.
 2. 'Zoom to point' and 'Zoom out' worked in a weird manner, it lost the
    center point.
 3. The image was tied to the top-left corner that is pretty unusual
    nowadays.
 4. Zoom did not react to the size of window.

It would make scanning frustrating, so I decided to make a custom
version of xSane.

Major changes, Preview window:

* xsane-preview.h/c : geometry calculations of Preview window revised,
clarified and simplified.
* Preview image reacts on the window size: the same part of image is
visible after resizing.
* 'Fit to screen' stated as a separate mode that allows to see the
entire image regardless of the window size.
* Zoom In/Zoom Out work as it supposed to do.

Minor changes:

* aclocal.m4 removed, it is a generated file.
* configure, configure.in fixed, it could not detect SANE installed.
* New button 'Half frame for 135 type camera roll' added, it creates a
selection bix of the mentioned size that can be dragged to shots on the
camera roll.
* New xsane_list_all_scanner_parameters() function in xSane that dumps
everything found in the results of sane_control_option().

I am not sure if my changes to configure files are good enough, but the
original files did not work at all.

Also, xSane is tested only with my computer & my scanner (Cannonscan 9000F).

Repo: https://gitlab.com/umaxik/xsane.git

Best regards,
Max Ushakov