[sane-devel] Epson and epkowa

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Fri May 15 18:01:57 BST 2020

пʼятниця, 15 травня 2020 р. 19:49:16 EEST ви написали:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 15, 2020, 09:44 Yuri Chornoivan, <yurchor at ukr.net> wrote:
> > пʼятниця, 15 травня 2020 р. 19:39:05 EEST Ralph Little написано:
> > > On the supported scanners page, the listed backend is epson2. However,
> >
> > the
> >
> > > comment says that it is "supported by the epkowa backend plus non-free
> > > interpreter". Does that mean that epson2 *might* support it, and
> > > additionally there is a proprietary option also?
> > >
> > > If so, what is the likelihood that epson2 would work with this scanner
> >
> > with
> >
> > > moderate modifications?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Mine (Epson V330 Photo) works with Epson interpreter (proprietary) just
> > fine.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Yuri
>
> So that would be the epkowa backend then?

From README file in the esci-interpreter-perfection-v330-1.0.0.rpm,

"    This plugin converts between the native protocol of the supported
    devices and the ESC/I protocol.  The latter protocol is supported
    by the SANE 'epkowa' backend, part of Image Scan!, and some other
    SANE backends.  However, only the 'epkowa' backend provides the
    hooks needed to use this plugin."

> Have you ever tried the epson2 backend?

I do not think it works. The scanner itself needs binary firmware to start.

My first try after buying the scanner is to use it as is with the default
sane-backends-iscan from Mageia Linux. It did not work.

Best regards,
Yuri