[sane-devel] SCX-3405W scans with usb but not when shared from Linux Mint

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Tue May 19 15:07:07 BST 2020

Hi,

On 2020-05-18 3:19 p.m., vicki at thepenguin.org wrote:
> I have a SCX-3405W All-in-One printer that is connected by usb to a Linux Mint 19.2 Tina system. I can both print and scan from that system. I am trying to share it so that any system on my lan can print and scan. I am able to print from a Linux Mint laptop, but I am unable to scan unless I connect the usb cable to it. It appears from the following that it sees the 3405W as a scanner:

Interestingly, the "Supported Scanners pages here:

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-SAMSUNG

...shows SANE supporting Ethernet, but this machine AFAICS supports only
WiFi and USB.

> desktop:~# sane-find-scanner
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x7392 [Realtek], product=0x7811 [802.11n WLAN Adapter]) at libusb:003:002
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04e8 [Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.], product=0x344f [SCX-3400 Series]) at libusb:010:002
>
> [I have cut out the commented lines.]
>
> scanimage doesn't see it though:
>
> desktop:~# scanimage -L
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
>
> How should I proceed?

For a scanner that has no network option, there is the saned option
which allows non-network scanners to be used over the network.
If you cannot use the WiFi option, then that might be a way to go. I
don't know this machine, but can it support WiFi and USB simultaneously?
If so, then that might be one way to allow your laptop to connect to it.

Failing that, you can enable saned on the machine that is USB connected
to the device. This will expose the scanner on the network so that your
laptop can pick it up.

If you want help with that, if you reply to the list, then I'm sure
someone can help you set it up.

Cheers,
Ralph