[sane-devel] SCX-3405W scans with usb but not when shared from Linux Mint

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Tue May 19 18:55:49 BST 2020

Hi,

On 2020-05-19 9:27 a.m., vicki at thepenguin.org wrote:

> OK, let's try to narrow this down a bit.
> I have to ask the obvious: does the main machine have a firewall installed?
>
> Next, let's make sure that the saned service is running properly.
> On the main machine, saned listens on port 6566.
> If you try:
>
> netstat -an | grep 6566
>
> ... do you see this or something similar?
>
>> tcp6       0      0 :::6566                 :::* LISTEN
> I see exactly that when I run netstat. That makes me wonder. I have
> disabled IPv6 on the interface that connects to my local network on
> both devices (due to an unrelated issue). Maybe there is somewhere
> that I should specify that I want to use IPv4?
> The output from the scanimage command is:
>
> home-E7250:~$ SANE_DEBUG_NET=50 scanimage -L
> [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of net to 50.
> [net] sane_init: authorize != null, version_code != null
> [net] sane_init: SANE net backend version 1.0.14 (AF-indep+IPv6) from sane-backends 1.0.27
> [net] sane_init: Client has little endian byte order
> [net] sane_init: searching for config file
> [net] sane_init: done reading config
> [net] sane_init: evaluating environment variable SANE_NET_HOSTS
> [net] sane_init: evaluating environment variable SANE_NET_TIMEOUT
> [net] sane_init: done
> [net] sane_get_devices: local_only = 0
> [net] sane_get_devices: finished (0 devices)
> [net] net_avahi_browse_callback: CACHE_EXHAUSTED
> [net] net_avahi_browse_callback: ALL_FOR_NOW
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
> [net] sane_exit: exiting
> [net] net_avahi_cleanup: stopping thread
> [net] net_avahi_cleanup: done
> [net] sane_exit: finished.

Interesting.
It is possible that saned is having permissions issues accessing the
devices locally, and therefore not advertising them to your laptop, but
let's not assume that yet.

On my remote machine, I see:

[net] connect_dev: trying to connect to 192.168.1.16

..but I don't see anything like that there.

Could you give us a dump of your laptop's /etc/sane.d/net.conf?

Cheers,
Ralph