[sane-devel] SCX-3405W scans with usb but not when shared from Linux Mint

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Wed May 20 15:52:16 BST 2020

Hi

On 2020-05-19 7:26 a.m., vicki at thepenguin.org wrote:
>> Failing that, you can enable saned on the machine that is USB connected
>> to the device. This will expose the scanner on the network so that your
>> laptop can pick it up.
> That is exactly what I was trying to do. If you look at the output, however, it sees the scanner with sane-find-scanner but can not see it with scanimage -L Is there some other command that I should be using?

So, I just set this up on my machine. I actually have a similar
configuration to you: I have a main machine and a laptop both running
Linux Mint and connected to the house LAN via Ethernet and I managed to
get this working using a PIXMA machine connected via USB on the main
machine.

1. See here for setting up and enabling saned on the machine which has
the USB connected device, setting up your laptop's IP in
//etc/sane.d/saned.conf/ to enable it to connect:
https://wiki.debian.org/SaneOverNetwork
2. On the laptop, make sure that the net backend is enabled in
/etc/sane.d/dll.conf and add the IP of your main machine to
/etc/sane.d/net.conf.

Now try scanimage -L again on the laptop and (finger's crossed) you
should see the scanner.

Cheers,
Ralph